- General Medical Practitioner (caring for almost all of the farming families in the Upper Dale)
- Local GP for 20 years in the 2 partner practice which covers 300 sq miles, centred on Middleton in Teesdale
- Provides minor injuries service as the nearest District General Hospital is 25 miles away
- UTASS Trustee since 2000 and Chairperson since 2009
- Involved with the original research work with rural stress that led to the setting up of UTASS after the epidemic of suicides in 1991
- Involved in gaining EU funding bid for Counselling services in Upper Teesdale in association with the Primary Care Group
- Trustee of the Cameron Relief Trust
- Previously Chairperson of the Primary Care Group and Trustee of St Teresa’s Hospice, Darlington.